Sunday, November 11, 2018

AAA: Advocacy, Activism, and Allies

I am an early stager who advocates for people living with/dying from metastatic breast cancer... cuz that's the only one that kills.

Cancer in your breasts will not kill you.  It's when it metastasize into other organs (brain, lungs, liver, bones) that it becomes deadly.

30% of early stage patients (such as myself) eventually develops metastases.  5, 10, 25 years down the road. There's no safety five years after initial diagnosis. And there's no cancer-free, in my opinion.

I advocate for my friends who are dying now (I lost 5 people in the last month alone and another one just entered hospice) and for myself.

I encourage everyone to learn about metastatic breast cancer... early stagers in particular,  because we don't get a clear info from our doctors. And because it is so much more comfortable to claim a status of a "survivor" and live in denial.

Knowing about MBC is disturbing.
Knowing about MBC is scary.
Knowing about MBC is knowing and accepting that we are not in control, that even our doctors have no idea who will metastasize and who won't.

Knowing about MBC is empowering, because instead of denial we live in knowledge.  And knowledge IS power. It's a power to change the landscape of breast cancer.  It's a power to request more funding for treatment.  It's a power to raise funds,  to advocate,  to make a difference.

It's also our obligation towards those that are dying every day, 114 per day.

#WeAreAllInThisTogether

Have a look at this blog post that Beth Caldwell wrote before she was murdered by metastatic breast cancer. This article made it crystal clear why and how I should get involved.

http://cultofperfectmotherhood.com/being-an-ally/

And if you decide to get involved, please join me at MBC Advocacy and Support - open to all stages and allies! group.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1526269500738162/

No comments:

Post a Comment